Mandatory Dress Code
The mandatory uniform/standardized dress policy remains in effect throughout the Covina-Valley Unified School District.
Listed below are the regulations:
- The basic uniform includes navy blue or tan bottoms (pants, shorts, skirts, jumpers), and white, navy blue, light blue, or red polo shirts (solid colors only). Merwin School t-shirts may also be worn any day. No stretch pants are allowed.
- No denim of any kind will be allowed except for on select days (chosen by the principal).
- Clothing must look neat (free from rips or tears), clean and fit correctly. No oversized or baggy clothing, jeans and/or objects considered being gang-related.
- Shirts and blouses must have sleeves and collars and must be free of designs, writing, emblems, and logos not related to school programs. School spirit and No Excuses University t-shirts are allowed every day.
- For safety reasons, socks and shoes with closed toes and straps across the heel must be worn. Sandals and high heels are not permitted.
- Fingertip Rule- When hands are down at your side, skirts and shorts must be as long or longer than your fingertips.
- Students who violate the dress code may be directed to return home to change or be temporarily loaned a substitute uniform for the day.
- Students will be allowed to wear uniforms of nationally recognized youth organizations (such as Boy & Girl Scouts).
- For safety reasons, hoop or dangling earrings may not be worn by students. Make-up is not appropriate for students in elementary school. Tattoos are considered make-up.
Remember, at Merwin, we dress like responsible, respectful, and safe scholars!!