Covina-Valley Children's Center
Welcome to Covina-Valley Children's Center
The Covina-Valley Unified School District operates the Covina-Valley Children's Center, which houses three programs: Special Education preschool classes, a General Child Care Program, and County Special Education classes. The campus itself is located at 1024 West Workman Avenue in the city of West Covina. The campus was originally built to house an elementary school site, which was later closed down as the student population declined. It was at this time that the General Child Care program and special education preschool classes were moved onto the empty campus. Currently, the program consists of the following make-up. The school district special education classes consist of seven classes total, a preschool Special Day Class, two preschool Deaf and Hard of Hearing classes, one infant Deaf and Hard of Hearing class, two preschool Speech and Language Delay/Aphasia classes, and one preschool Autistic Spectrum Related Disorder class. Children must be tested through Regional Center or the child’s local school district and placed through either an Infant Family Service Plan or Individual Education Plan into an appropriate classroom.
The other program located on the Covina-Valley Children’s Center campus is the County Special Education preschool program, which consists of four Special Day Classes. All three of the programs on this site work together to meet the needs of all the children here at Vincent Children's Center. Monthly events and other programs are celebrated regularly. This website was developed to ensure that the families in the surrounding communities would have accurate, timely, and appropriate information about the many services and programs that the center offers. The State Funded General Child Care program serves income eligible families who live or work in the surrounding community. The Child Care Program is licensed to serve infants and toddlers, preschool and school-age children. It is open year-round and operates from 6:45 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.. Families must be working, going to school or seeking employment in order to place their children in the child care program. Fees are charged based on the families income. For parents who only need part-time preschool services, there is an off-site State Preschool program, located next to Rowland Elementary. Both the General Child Care program and State Preschool program must meet all state guidelines and assist the families they serve to meet the six state developed Desired Results: Children are personally and socially competent, children are effective learners, children show physical and motor competence, children are safe and healthy, families support their children's learning & development, and families achieve their goals.
The Vincent School site is located on 8.4 acres at the southwest corner of Vincent and Workman Avenue. The school served students in grades kindergarten through grade six from 1960 through 1979. At that time the school was closed as an elementary school site.
The Covina Children's Center was originally located at Fourth and Puente, from 1962 through 1977. In 1977 the program was moved to the Vincent School site, where it still is today as Vincent Children's Center. The program currently serves about 180 children, ages three through eleven.
Who Do We Serve?
- After-School Care for Kindergarten-Fifth Grade
- Families who are income eligible (Based on the number of family members and gross income earned).
- Full-time students who are studying for a specific vocational goal
- Those who are currently unemployed and are seeking employment
- Parents seeking permanent housing
- Parental Incapacity
What Do We Believe?
- Our environment should be consistent, nurturing, culturally sensitive, developmentally appropriate, and emotionally secure.
- Activities should be hands-on, fun, challenging, creative, and allow for independence.
- Our program should create competent, responsible individuals who will one day participate in society successfully.
- We join families in supporting children's learning and development so that they will grow to their fullest potential.
- Full Day State Preschool 7:00 am to 6:00 pm
- Part Day State Preschool 8:30 am to 11:30 am and 12:00 am to 3:00 pm
- General Child Care 7:00 am to 6:00 pm
- LAUP 8:15 am to 11:45 am and 12:15 pm to 3:45 pm