Any absence or tardy (30 minutes or longer) from school must be reported to the school site by parent/guardian. In order to ensure your child’s safety, we are asking that you’re prompt in reporting so that we are able to provide timely communication with you, should we need to communicate with you about your child’s absence.Please contact the Attendance Secretary, Rozanna Boone, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call (626) 974-7300 within 3 days to excuse your child’s absence.Any absence not excused within this time will be recorded as a truancy. Each day your child is absent (unexcused or excused), must be called in by parent/guardian.
Any absence may be cleared by attending Saturday School. Please refer to the Saturday School page (under Academics) for dates offered for the 2019-2020 year.
ATTENDANCE, TARDINESS, TRUANCIES:
- The California State Education Code requires your attendance at school. All students should plan to arrive no later than 7:45 am. There is no campus supervision available prior to that time
- Tardy means being late to school or to class. If you arrive late to school, go straight to the office to receive a pass. If you are late 20 minutes or more you will be marked absent for the period.
- Excessive tardiness has an effect on your citizenship grade and is cause to be assigned detention or to Saturday School/Falcon Academy.
- We have a closed campus and students are expected to remain on the school grounds from their time of arrival at school until they are dismissed at the end of their day.
- If you are absent for any reason, you are required upon returning to school to have with you a note, signed by your parent/guardian or doctor, that states when and why you were absent. You must report the absence to the office within 3 days of the return date to clear an unexcused absence. Failure to do so will result in the absence becoming truancy.
- Truancy can result in detention or an assignment to Saturday School/Falcon Academy. Repeated truancies/absences will result in referral to the school’s resource officer and a citation may be issued. Also, the District’s Supervisor of Child Welfare and Attendance can refer the violation to the School Attendance Review Board.
- Unless you are involved in a school-sponsored activity, leave the campus immediately following school. If you are involved in an activity, leave immediately after the conclusion of your activity. For the safety of your student please pick them up in a timely manner.
- If you have to enroll in another school, you need to obtain a transfer from the office. Always notify the office of a change of address, home telephone number, parents’ work numbers or emergency phone numbers
Absences are only able to be excused, as outlined by Ed. Code 48205 if they are for reasons of:
- personal illness
- health department quarantine
- medical, dental, optometric or chiropractic appointments (with note provided upon return from the medical facility)
- attendance at funeral services for an immediate family member
- any court-ordered appearance such as a subpoena
- exclusion for failure to present evidence of immunization
- observance of a religious holiday
- attendance at a SART or SARB (Attendance Review) hearing
Any absence not qualifying for excusal from CA Ed. Code 48205 will be indicated as unexcused.
As per CA Ed. Code 48260, “any student who is absent from school without a valid excuse three (3) days or tardy without a valid excuse in excess of 30 minutes on each of more than three (3) days in any one school year is a truant and shall be reported to the attendance supervisor or the superintendent of the district”
California Educational Code provides for students who will need extended periods of absence. If your student will be out for a minimum of 5 days, and a maximum of 10, they may be placed on an independent study contract. Parents must notify the office 10 days prior to the leave of absence to be eligible. This is done in order to maintain the instruction of your student.