IB Options at South Hills High
SHHS IB courses are open to 11th and 12th-grade students who are interested in a rigorous course of study with a strong commitment to learning. We offer three IB options at SHHS:
1. The Diploma Program 2. Associates 3. Courses Study 6 subjects(3 HL & 3 SL or 4 HL & 2 SL*) + the core: creativity, activity, service (CAS), extended essay(EE), and theory of knowledge(TOK) Study 3-4 subjects (2 HL & 2 SL or 3 HL*) +CAS & TOK Course selections [taking courses a la carte like students do with AP]
*IB offers a variety of Higher Level (HL) & Standard Level (SL) courses. HL courses represent 240 teaching hours. SL courses represent 150 teaching hours.
IB Courses at SHHS
Group 1: Language A
- Language and Literature HL
Group 2: Language B
- Spanish HL & SL
- Chinese (Mandarin) SL
Group 3: Individuals and Societies
- History HL
- Business and Management SL
Group 4: Sciences
- Biology HL & SL
- Sports, Exercise, and Health SL
Group 5: Mathematics
- Mathematical Studies SL
Group 6: The Arts
- Visual Arts HL
The Diploma Programme:
- One subject must be selected from each of the groups 1-5.
- The sixth subject may be selected from group 6 or from 1-5.
- Choose 3 HL and 3 SL courses or 4 HL and 2 SL courses
- CAS, EE, & TOK are also required
- Choose 2 HL and 2 SL courses or 3 HL courses
- CAS & TOK are also required
Cultivating a Growth Mindset
Does taking an IB course sound intimidating? Why? Perhaps you are ready for a challenge! Perhaps you are ready to embrace a lifelong journey of learning! Prospective IB students should challenge themselves and enroll in at least one AP or Honors course in their 9th and/or 10th grade. Please see Ms. Marquez or your counselor for more information.