Phone: (626) 974-4000
Degrees and Certifications:
Mrs. Kim Sheehan
Welcome Back Broncos,
We can’t wait to see you! We hope you had a relaxing summer and that both you and your student(s) are looking forward to an amazing 2018-19 year. Tag now we are it! Our theme this year for your students is, Ask me what I want to B. We will be asking your children that all year. I asked a student I saw in Target the other day and he said a millionaire. A great goal is to read a million words. I saw another student at Movie Night at Covina Park and she said she didn’t know. I suggested that we can all B kind. She smiled and gave me a big hug. We can all B something great everyday. Our mission is that your students grow academically, socially and emotionally. Our instructional focus is reading comprehension at grade level. We want all students to ROCK (Read Often Communicate Knowledge). PRIDE (Positive Attitude, Respect, Integrity, Dependability and Excellence) continues to be our behavior model. Our mission, our instructional focus and our PRIDE are everyday expectations.
School begins on Monday, August 20th. Everyone should come meet your teacher at Back to School Night on Thursday August 16th. TK/Kinder parents may walk their student(s) to their classroom on the first day of school. Beginning Tuesday, August 21st, parents will not be permitted past the gate.
- Students may arrive to campus no earlier than 7:30 am for breakfast, which is served until 7:55am.
- Students in grades 1-5 will go to the playground for walk and talk at 7:55 am daily.
- Students will line up for flag salute and to go to class at 8:05 am
- TK and Kinder dismissal is at 1:00 pm daily while 1st through 5th grade students are dismissed at 2:35 pm. All students are dismissed at 12:10 pm on Tuesdays.
Barranca is a uniform dress code school. Blouses and shirts should be solid white, navy blue or red. Barranca spirit shirts are allowed any day and college shirts on Fridays. Pants, shorts, skirts, etc. are navy blue or tan (no jeans, no leggings). Sneakers are the best shoes. If sandals are worn, they must be closed toe, have a strap around the back, and be worn with socks. Girls’ tights should be solid white, navy, tan or red. Stretch pants/leggings cannot be worn as pants.
As a reminder, the parking lot is a safety concern at all times. It is like the parking lot at the mall during the holidays everyday. Please be reminded that adults make powerful role models for children. We ask that you demonstrate patience, courtesy, and respect for traffic laws, school personnel and volunteers who are working in the parking lot to help keep your children safe.
- Park only in designated parking spots.
- Parents need to wait in front of the school, or in their cars, when picking up their children. Please do not leave your car unattended unless you are in a marked parking spot.
- Always use the crosswalk when crossing the parking lot.
- Students who must cross streets should only do so at intersection with a traffic signal or crossing guard. The crossing guard must be obeyed without exception.
As you know we are trying to go completely paperless for messages to parents. Even report cards this year will only be available online. Please text @broncobarn to the number 81010 to receive texts from Mrs. Sheehan with important school information or follow Barranca Elementary on Twitter @barrancabroncos, on Facebook @barrancabroncos, and on Instagram @barranca_elementary. On Back to School Night you can also add emails to our email list.
- Back to School Night is Thursday, August 16
- TK/K 4:00
- Parent Meeting for TK/K 5:00 in café
- 1st, 2nd, 3rd 5:30
- 4th & 5th 6:30
- First Day of School is Monday, August 20, 2018. If you are on time you are late. You are considered tardy if you are not in your seat when the bell rings.
Throughout the year we will have the opportunity to develop our home and school partnership in a wide variety of ways. Families can join PTA (students get a free college shirt), volunteer in the classroom, help in the library, attend Site Council and PTA meetings, or participate in one of the many other events or activities that make our school a special place for our children to learn. I am looking forward to another year with our incredible Bronco family.
Your child’s classroom assignment will be provided online upon completion of online data confirmation/mandatory registration. Please remember that all classroom assignments are tentative due to enrollment fluctuations beyond the school’s control. Each year some students must be reassigned to new classrooms the first weeks of school to help balance all the class sizes.
We are excited to have students back in our classrooms, filling them with energy and enthusiasm for learning. See you at Back to School Night on August 16th. Please let your students know we have missed them and can’t wait to see them.
Kim Sheehan, Principal