Program Supports Instruction- One of the features that make this program unique is its focus on
supporting standards-based, grade-specific classroom instruction.
- Structured homework supervision- At least 45 minutes to an hour of quiet time is set aside daily for youngsters who need to complete homework assignments. Peer-to-peer partnering and assistance by staff enable students to complete most homework assignments during their time in child care.
- Library Media Centers & Computer Lab Access - When supervision is available, students have access to the library media center, computer lab and other school resources for research and homework assignments.
- Program Curriculum- Discovery Excursion.
Program Features - Staff strive to make each day enriching and rewarding for every child. Other program features include:
- Outdoor play - When weather permits students take part in supervised individual and group games, or free-play on the playground, fields, etc.
- Indoor activities - Board games, structured activities and special programs such as guest performers, support classroom learning and make the child care experience fun for all.
- Arts and crafts - Drawing, painting and seasonal make-and-take crafts are among the hands-on learning experiences that make the Kids' Korner program enjoyable for students.
Keeping Your Family Safe and Secure
- Meets state requirements - Kids' Korner programs meet state licensing requirements. The adult-to-child ratio is 1 to 20.
- Trained personnel - The program is staffed by trained professionals who are District employees. Staff have undergone rigorous screening procedures before hire (finger printing and background check), hold CPR/First Aid certification and have experience in supervising and working with elementary-aged children.
- Progressive discipline - Expectations for student conduct are consistent with school rules. Reward systems encourage students to contribute in a positive manner to the Kids' Korner Program.
- Structured supervision - Daily and weekly schedules are posted to keep parents and students informed about snack times, homework and study periods, and special activities.
- Campus monitoring - District peace officers monitor all campuses.
- Campus safety features - Kids' Korner Programs have been strategically located on school campuses to give parents quick and safe access for drop-offs and pick-ups. Bright exterior lighting enhances the safety of the grounds. To further assure the safety of students, children may only be signed out of the program by a pre-identified adult with photo identification.
- Efficient communications systems - All child care sites use two-way radio communication to monitor students during supervised activities. A buddy system also ensures that no student is alone on campus without without a buddy and/or adult. Moreover, all facilities are equipped with direct-dial telephones, which allow staff to call 911 in the event of an emergency.
- Emergency plans/procedures - As with other District programs and facilities, all Kids' Korner sites maintain safety plans. Staff is trained to respond quickly.
- Nutritious snacks - Students receive nutritious snacks. Students who have special dietary limitations may enjoy a snack provided from home.