Employees: View your benefits by logging into the Benefits Portal
Free/no cost for employee coverage; dependent coverage available at varying cost based on plan choice. Choice of four medical plans for employees working more than 31 hours per week. Two HMO medical plans available for employees work 20-30 hours per week.
- Blue Shield of California Access+ HMO
- Blue Shield of California Trio-ACO HMO
- Kaiser HMO
- Blue Shield of California PPO
- CLICK HERE for current employee contributions
Dental: Two Choices (Free/no cost for employee & qualified dependents)
- Safeguard/Metlife Dental HMO
- HMO style plan-select primary care dentist
- No calendar year max
- Delta Dental PPO
- PPO style plan-free choice of dentist
- $2,500 calendar year max
Vision (Free/no cost for employee & qualified dependents)
- VSP Choice
Life Insurance (Free/no cost for employee coverage)
- In the event of the death of an employee from any cause whatsoever, benefits in accordance with the schedule of insurance are payable to the beneficiary named by the employee. Benefits reduce 35% on the policy anniversary following attainment of age 65, and 5% on the policy anniversary following attainment of age 70.
- Life Insurance $30,000 plus Accidental Death & Dismemberment $30,000.
- Voluntary Supplemental Life (Small Cost)
Characteristics of an HMO
- Designated Primary Physician
- Co-payment for office visits
- No annual deductible
- Referral to specialists through a primary physician
- Prescriptions within formulary
Characteristics of a PPO
- Annual deductibles
- Fees for office visits
- Partial payment for services
- Self-refer to specialists
- Choice of medical provider
- Prescriptions within formulary
Retiree Medical Benefits
Depending on the number of years you have worked in the District you may be eligible for a significant financial contribution by the employer towards your health insurance upon retirement.
- PERS (non-certificated positions) and STRS (certificated positions)
Automatic enrollment for probationary and permanent employees who work 1000 or more hours in a fiscal year without any waiting period. Employee contributions is approximately 7% with District match approximately 100%.
- Tax Shelter Annuity
Voluntary enrollment in an L.A. County approved company. Employees only may be eligible to contribute up to $13,000 annually.
Depending on availability you may be able to obtain a 50% teaching position in which you share a teaching assignment with another teacher on a 50% assignment.
- Earn one day of sick leave for each month worked (e.g., accrue 12 days for 12 months of work. Unused balance rolls over to the next fiscal year.
- At retirement, unused sick leave balance is rolled to your PERS or STRS retirement program in order to enhance the "years of service" factor in your retirement calculation.
- You may receive donations of sick leave from other employees during a medical crisis you are experiencing.
Earn one day of vacation for each month worked (e.g., accrue 12 days for 12 months of work). The potential to earn 24 days of vacation per year based on longevity is available. Option to cash-out unused vacation at the end of each fiscal year (maximum of 7 days) or have unused balance roll over to the next fiscal year.
Fourteen paid holidays for 12-month employees.
Seven personal days for each fiscal year.
Section 125 Flexible Spending Account
The section 125 Plan allows you to set aside your out-of-pocket medical care, life insurance premium costs, qualified dependent care costs and qualified life insurance premium costs on a pre-tax basis and to set aside "pre-tax" dollars to pay for dependent care and medical expenses. By electing this plan, you may pay less tax and increase your take-home pay.