Program Supports Instruction
One of the features that make this program unique is its focus on supporting standards-based, grade-specific classroom instruction.
- Structured homework supervision - At least 45 minutes to an hour of quiet time is set aside daily for youngsters who need to complete homework assignments. Peer-to-peer partnering and assistance by staff enable students to complete most homework assignments during their time in childcare.
- Library Media Centers & Computer Lab Access - When supervision is available, students have access to the library media center, computer lab and other school resources for research and homework assignments.
- Program Curriculum - Discovery Excursion.
Staff strive to make each day enriching and rewarding for every child. Other program features include:
- Outdoor play - When weather permits students take part in supervised individual and group games, or free-play on the playground, fields, etc.
- Indoor activities - Board games, structured activities and special programs such as guest performers, support classroom learning and make the childcare experience fun for all.
- Arts and crafts - Drawing, painting and seasonal make-and-take crafts are among the hands-on learning experiences that make the Teen Sence program enjoyable for students.
Keeping Your Family Safe and Secure
- Meets state requirements - Teen Scene programs meet state licensing requirements. The adult-to-child ratio is 1 to 20
- Trained personnel - The program is staffed by trained professionals who are District employees. Staff has undergone rigorous screening procedures before hire (fingerprinting and background check), hold CPR/First Aid certification and have experience in supervising and working with Middle School-aged children.
- Progressive discipline - Expectations for student conduct are consistent with school rules. Reward systems encourage students to contribute in a positive manner to the Teen Scene Program.
- Structured supervision - Daily and weekly schedules are posted to keep parents and students informed about snack times, homework and study periods, and special activities.
- Campus monitoring - District peace officers monitor all campuses.
- Campus safety features - Teen Scene Programs have been strategically located on school campuses to give parents quick and safe access for drop-offs and pick-ups. Bright exterior lighting enhances the safety of the grounds. To further assure the safety of students, children may only be signed out of the program by a pre-identified adult with photo identification.
- Efficient communications systems - All child care sites use two-way radio communication to monitor students during supervised activities. A buddy system also ensures that no student is alone on campus without a buddy and/or adult. Moreover, all facilities are equipped with direct-dial telephones, which allow staff to call 911 in the event of an emergency.
- Emergency plans/procedures - As with other District programs and facilities, all Teen Scene sites maintain safety plans. Staff is trained to respond quickly
- Nutritious snacks - Students receive nutritious snacks. Students who have special dietary limitations may enjoy a snack provided from home.
Teen Scene is offered at Traweek Middle School and is open from 6:00 a.m to 6:30 p.m., excluding school hours. Students from Las Palmas Middle School will be bussed to Traweek Middle School. For more information, call Teen Scene at the number listed below.
Las Palmas Middle School
Program hosted at Traweek Middle School
Sierra Vista Middle School
777 E. Puente Ave., Covina, CA 91723 - (626) 974-7321
Traweek Middle School
Hosting Las Palmas Middle School
1941 E. Rowland Ave., West Covina, CA 91791 - (626) 974-7428