Phone: (626) 974-7300
Degrees and Certifications:
Mrs. Danielle Travieso
Dear Sierra Vista Students and Families:
Welcome to the 2019-20 school year! At Sierra Vista Middle School we strongly believe we can make the world a better place through academic, as well as, character education. Our commitment is to provide a safe, positive learning environment that will empower our students to become critical thinkers. This will prepare our students for success in high school, college, and beyond.
Beginning this year, we are in our initial stages of becoming a Coding Magnet School. All students will learn to code in both their History and Science classes. As students learn coding basics, they will demonstrate their content knowledge through coding applications. We have two Epic Build Showcases planned for this year where students will display their coding projects. Another exciting change is that this year we will be on a seven-period day. This will give all students the opportunity to take two elective classes. Electives will include a variety of classes including world languages, band, chorus, and robotics.
Middle school is an exciting time, but it can also be challenging, with the increase in workloads and the social adjustment to being on a larger campus and having multiple teachers through the course of the day. I look forward to working with all of you and to get to know each of you better in the weeks and months ahead as we move our students towards even greater levels of academic achievement.
Below are a few suggestions on how to support your child through the year:
- Help your child manage homework time and show interest in your child’s studies. Encourage him to aim high and always do his best work. Check with teachers to see how much time should be necessary to complete homework. Talk with him daily about what he's learning and doing in school (don't take "nothing" for an answer!). If you know your child has a project for science, get involved.
- With your child, read and review the information that schools and district provide. Be familiar with the course offerings, rules and expectations outlined in the student handbook, etc. Make it clear that he must follow school rules and policies. Teach him to respect people as well as property. Help him know right from wrong and what he must do when negative temptations come his way.
- Be sure that he attends school on a regular basis and on time. Even if he is absent for illness or another valid reason, he needs to keep up with his studies. Call the school if your child will be missing a day, and find out what he needs to do to make up for it.
- Know your child's friends. Who does your child hang out with? Follow up on any suspicions that you may have. It is better to be safe than sorry at this time of your child's life. Know where your child is at all times. Be clear and consistent with discipline.
- Stay informed of your student's performance on their homework, a test or quiz as well as their attendance. Log on to Parent Portal to get updated information on your child's grades. If you need help access your account, please contact the school office.
I am looking forward to an amazing school year. Follow us on Instagram at SVROCKS and stay up to date on the events and happenings at Sierra Vista.