C-VUSD has partnered with the Yale University Center for Emotional Intelligence to foster social and emotional learning across the District. With this partnership, the District aims to teach students and staff the RULER program, which aims to infuse the principles of emotional intelligence among PreK to 12 schools and inform the District community on how to best support students. RULER helps people of all ages to use their emotions wisely and create opportunities that ensure success in school and beyond.
RULER is an acronym for the five skills of emotional intelligence:
- Recognizing emotions in oneself and others
- Understanding the causes and consequences of emotions
- Labeling emotions with a nuanced vocabulary
- Expressing emotions in accordance with cultural norms and social context
- Regulating emotions with helping strategies
For more information on the Yale Center of Emotional Intelligence and the RULER program, please visit ycei.org.