Advanced Placement (AP) options and opportunities for students at South Hills High School can be found below. If you have questions regarding AP placement, please contact your counselor.
South Hills High School Advanced Placement
According to the College Board, the Advanced Placement (AP) Program allows students to take rigorous college-level courses while still in high school. Students may earn college credit and/or advanced placement into upper-level college courses by taking AP exams. Many colleges and universities recognize AP courses when making admissions decisions.
Advanced Placement at South Hills
The Advanced Placement Program at South Hills allows students to take college-level courses that may give them college credit while they are still in high school. The AP curriculum is a special college-level learning experience that takes a full academic year and allows students to explore subjects with great depth. AP provides students with an opportunity for learning that goes beyond just facts and figures. The rich course material, classroom discussions, and demanding assignments typical of AP courses will help students develop the knowledge and critical thinking skills expected of college students.
Benefits of Advanced Placement Classes
- The AP Program bridges the transition from high school to college by offering students an opportunity to develop their academic strengths through rigorous curricula and challenging national examinations and exposure to academic experiences usually reserved for college students.
- Students who earn good grades and passing scores on the exams can have a competitive advantage in the college admission and scholarship processes.
- With a qualifying AP exam score, students can earn credit, advanced placement, or both at the majority of colleges and universities in the United States
AP Classes offered at South Hills
- AP English Literature
- AP English Language
- AP Human Geography
- AP World History
- AP US History
- AP Gov/Pol US
- AP Macro Economics
- AP Statistics
- AP Calculus AB
- AP Calculus BC
- AP Biology
- AP Environmental Science
- AP Physics 1
- AP Spanish Language
- AP Chinese Language
- AP Computer Sci Principles
- AP Art: 2D
South Hills Advanced Placement Test Data 2016:
- # of Students Tested: 350
- # of Exams: 658
- Pass Rate: 50%